The Goodwill Mission
The Transformative Power of GoodwillFinds
Shopping thrift at GoodwillFinds directly transforms local communities by:
- Providing jobs and skills training to those in need of opportunity.
- Diverting billions of pounds of goods from landfills globally.
Together, we do good things. Have fun finding.
How Does it All Work?
Our Impact at a Glance
Goodwill® is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization made up of a network of 155 local organizations throughout North America that sell donated goods to create job opportunities and training in local communities. In the past year, Goodwill has...
Supported millions of people to take action toward securing work:
- 1,174,657 individuals empowered themselves with Goodwill Services, including direct supports as well as training, education and job placement provided by local Goodwill organizations
- 157,416 individuals who identify as having disabilities
- 149,338 youth and younger individuals aged 16 to 24
- 149,060 individuals 55 years and older, et cetera
- 47,610 individuals who have been involved in the criminal justice system
Worked toward a healthier planet and more sustainable future for shoppers:
- 3 billion pounds of goods diverted from landfills
- More than 15 million pounds of electronics were collected across more than 2,000 Goodwill locations and recycled in new computer parts through a closed loop recycling process
- 2000+ e-recycling programs launched across the nation
- Progressed in becoming fully LEED certified
Every person deserves the opportunity to achieve their fullest potential and participate in all aspects of life. Proceeds from your purchase or donation go directly to job training, community development, and support services for those with the greatest barriers to employment. We make opportunities become realities.
Bringing Good Home
For every dollar you spend at your local Goodwill, $.87 is reinvested directly into YOUR COMMUNITY, providing employment opportunities, job training, and career support services.
*Average amount across all member locations.
It was only a few years ago that Faviola, a single mother with three kids, found herself unemployed and homeless. At rock bottom, Goodwill Southern California was there. Education services, transportation, and supportive services for her kids meant Faviola could study nursing. Now her family is thriving. “There are no words to describe what Goodwill SoCal has done for me.”
With the help of Chicago's Workforce Connection Center, a newly immigrated Fanta learned essential skills and practiced her English and Sign Language. Employers were immediately impressed with her strong work ethic. “I don’t know what I would do without Goodwill’s help.”
With the help of the Goodwill Store and Donation Center in Northbrook, Illinois, a newly retired Jerry was able to connect with others and find meaningful work. "Once you're here working, you learn a little bit more of the mission and the areas of Goodwill that I never realized existed...You feel like you're accomplishing something and helping people out.
The Most Impactful Place to Donate
Did you know that donating your living room furniture to Goodwill can divert up to 600 lbs of waste from landfills, provide 3 hours of job training services to someone in your local community, and potentially provide $200 in tax deductions for yourself?
Global Environmental Impact
Browse our latest good finds and start making a difference today.
We promote and facilitate sustainable and creative reuse Our efforts have diverted over 3 billion pounds of goods from landfills annually
We do vital work in uplifting our communities and inspire others to get involved by providing opportunities to volunteer, donate.
Help us help. Your donations power our ability to provide jobs, training, and career building resources to thousands of community members